From humble beginnings
a different kind of firm leads the way
Client-centric financial services for over half a century.
In 1962, Bob James set out to build a different kind of financial services firm – one that would focus on long-term planning instead of simply placing trades, one that would remain uncompromisingly moderate through market highs and lows, and one that would always put clients and the advisors who serve them first.
And now, after more than 50 years of integrity, independence and innovation, Bob’s different kind of firm is one of the leading independent financial services companies in the United States.
A brief history
- 1962: Robert A. James Investments merges with Raymond & Associates to form Raymond James.
- 1983: Raymond James is listed on the New York Stock Exchange, symbol RJF.
- 2008: Raymond James is one of the few firms to remain stable and profitable through the economic downturn.
- 2012: Raymond James and Morgan Keegan merge to form one of the country’s largest independent full-service wealth management and investment banking firms not headquartered on Wall Street.
- 2013: Raymond James reaches its 100th consecutive quarter of profitability.1
From humble beginnings, Raymond James has grown to become a well-respected, widely recognized multinational firm with distinct business units that serve a variety of clients, from individuals and small business owners to municipalities and major corporations.
October 19, 1987: Black Monday. While other firms closed their trading desks to minimize internal losses, Raymond James kept its desks open to meet clients’ needs. Because of Raymond James’ agency-based business model and commitment to client service, this was our first, last and only unprofitable quarter since the firm went public.
We can be sure the markets will change over the next 25 years, and that our industry and firm will continue to evolve. What won’t change is our commitment to the values that have driven our success.
By the numbers*
- Founded in 1962; public since 1983
- Approximately $1.09 trillion in client assets
- RJF shareholders’ equity of $7.6 billion
- More than two times required regulatory capital
- 133 quarters of consecutive profitability*
- Approximately 8,300 financial advisors
- Equity research coverage of nearly 1,100 companies
It’s been our privilege over these past 50 years to support the goals of our clients and to give back to the communities in which we live and work – and we look forward to continuing to do so for many, many years to come. To take a “scroll” down memory lane, explore our history at RAYMONDJAMES.COM.
*As of 3/31/2021
1Past performance is not indicative of future results. The information provide is for informational purposes only and is not a solicitation to buy or sell Raymond James Financial Stock.
Our unique culture of independence gives each Raymond James financial advisor the freedom to meticulously tailor a long-term plan based solely on the financial well-being of each client and his or her specific goals.
Watch more of the story to see what a Raymond James advisor can do for you.
Wealth management is a team effort.
Your needs and goals will change over time. That’s why we will be there to provide advice – along with the exceptional service you deserve.